WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Settings made with controller retained when flying without controller or phone?

Hichris

Reaction score
I’m contemplating getting the neo but from watching the review videos I can’t tell whether the settings made with the controller remain intact when you use it stand-alone. Especially I’d like to know if the sharpness control and exposure compensation stay as you set them. I love the convenience and the fact that you don’t have a controller in your hand, but I don’t want the default oversharpened look with frequently blown out sky.. So, do the changes stay when you put away the controller, or do the defaults come back?

I asked the same question in another thread. It appears that they do as long as you use the same phone that the setting changes were made on. I don’t have a Neo yet so can’t confirm this, but like you I am seeking some more info before I decide.

Chris

Reactions: Hichris
Welcome to the forum.

Chris

I asked the same question in another thread. It appears that they do as long as you use the same phone that the setting changes were made on. I don’t have a Neo yet so can’t confirm this, but like you I am seeking some more info before I decide.

Chris
I should clarify, I’m talking about settings changes made with the controller with built in screen, not the phone. That controller allows you to make some changes that you can’t make just using the app on the phone. Such as turning down the sharpness, and, I think, exposure compensation.

On the sharpness point, I am not sure how you would be able to check (other than checking footage itself). When you are in RC mode with a phone you see the slider for sharpness and noise reduction. When you are connected only with the App there is no slider to be seen - so how would you know what the setting was?

When you are connected only with the App there is no slider to be seen - so how would you know what the setting was?
You can't, would have to remember what you did. But to see how it works just compare the footage, it's quite obvious.

Reactions: Chrislaf
That’s good to hear that the camera settings seem to stick once set on an external controller.

There is also another similar thread dealing with quick shots where the OP considers it a bug that they don’t go back to defaults.

Chris

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Which I strongly disagree with.
I haven't got mine yet so I don't know what I'd think about. However, I do see the logic behind it. If you used the remote to change the settings in the first place, automatically changing them back without the remote could be as frustrating or more so.

Reactions: okw and sarahb
I haven't got mine yet so I don't know what I'd think about. However, I do see the logic behind it. If you used the remote to change the settings in the first place, automatically changing them back without the remote could be as frustrating or more so.

Even more frustrating to me is such a scheme makes it impossible to have any other settings standalone than, "default".

I'd rather risk forgetting I changed them and have to correct, than not be able to change them at all.

Reactions: okw
Which I strongly disagree with.
Whether the settings stick or not is a big factor to me and has a bearing on which package I might purchase. If I use the RC-N3 with my iPhone to change camera settings like sharpness and then switch to phone only control I would expect those settings to remain in place. Similar to changing any of the quick shot settings.

As it stands I am still confused because some say they stick and others seem to be suggesting that they don't. It's easier to understand why they wouldn't stick if using a screened remote and then switching to phone only.

Chris

Thanks for the replies regarding settings being retained when using the drone by itself. One other thing is, does anyone know if firmware is coming to allow the drone to be used with the original rc controller, the one for the mini 3 pro? That’s the one I have and I was bummed to learn it’s not compatible..

Well, @Kilrah tested it out, found that if you're using the same phone for wifi or N3 control, the settings stick.

That's good enough for me to be fact. He's got about as stellar a reputation as possible on these forums.

Not like my scrappy behind... 😐

Whether the settings stick or not is a big factor to me and has a bearing on which package I might purchase. If I use the RC-N3 with my iPhone to change camera settings like sharpness and then switch to phone only control I would expect those settings to remain in place. Similar to changing any of the quick shot settings.

As it stands I am still confused because some say they stick and others seem to be suggesting that they don't. It's easier to understand why they wouldn't stick if using a screened remote and then switching to phone only.

Chris
If you change them with the RC they stick for the next time you use the RC only. They don't stick for next time you use the App. In fact they don't apply to the mobile side of the app at all.

I believe the profile settings for the RC are controlled by the RC side of the DJI Fly app - which is quite different from the part of the app you use to fly without an RC

Thanks for the replies regarding settings being retained when using the drone by itself. One other thing is, does anyone know if firmware is coming to allow the drone to be used with the original rc controller, the one for the mini 3 pro? That’s the one I have and I was bummed to learn it’s not compatible..
No and I can't see it happening as that RC uses a different OccuSync protocol to that of the Neo.

Again I think I need to clarify. People are talking about switching from screens controller such as the rc2 to phone only, but what I want to know is will settings stick when going from the controller to the drone by itself, no phone. I want to be able to do quick shots and tracking with no phone or controller seen in the shot. But without the default over sharpened image with highlights often blown out..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt