WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Settings made with controller retained when flying without controller or phone?

If you change them with the RC they stick for the next time you use the RC only. They don't stick for next time you use the App. In fact they don't apply to the mobile side of the app at all.

I believe the profile settings for the RC are controlled by the RC side of the DJI Fly app - which is quite different from the part of the app you use to fly without an RC
I am assuming when you refer to RC, you are talking about the RC-N3/N2 plus a phone and not the RC2. So when using the App on the phone only any camera settings made in the RC-N3/N2 won't transfer. If this is the case then there is no real advantage for me to get the FMC since most of my use would be just with the phone only and no RC-N3/N2.

Chris

Thanks for the replies regarding settings being retained when using the drone by itself. One other thing is, does anyone know if firmware is coming to allow the drone to be used with the original rc controller, the one for the mini 3 pro? That’s the one I have and I was bummed to learn it’s not compatible..

I say zero chance, so don't make a purchasing decision on this basis.

The RC2 was the replacement for a poorly designed, system resource starved, product. Lots of issues just being used with the Mini3P.

Unlikely to have the ability to add O4 support without problems due to too too little RAM and NVM.

Again I think I need to clarify. People are talking about switching from screens controller such as the rc2 to phone only, but what I want to know is will settings stick when going from the controller to the drone by itself, no phone. I want to be able to do quick shots and tracking with no phone or controller seen in the shot. But without the default over sharpened image with highlights often blown out..
They don't for me - using the RC-N3 with a phone. What I set on that sticks for when I use that again. The Neo on it's own reverts to stock.

Reactions: Chrislaf
I am assuming when you refer to RC, you are talking about the RC-N3/N2 plus a phone and not the RC2. So when using the App on the phone only any camera settings made in the RC-N3/N2 won't transfer. If this is the case then there is no real advantage for me to get the FMC since most of my use would be just with the phone only.

Chris
Sorry yes - I am using RC-N3 with my phone connected. In that setup I can change all sorts of camera and other settings. If I do that they 'stick' for when I reconnect the N3. None of them stick on the drone for when I use that autonomously

They don't for me - using the RC-N3 with a phone. What I set on that sticks for when I use that again. The Neo on it's own reverts to stock.
Well that sucks! My interest in the neo is rapidly cooling! Seems like such a simple thing, letting changes stick when using the drone on its own. I hope for firmware updates that allow that. Otherwise, maybe wait for the neo2

Well that sucks! My interest in the neo is rapidly cooling! Seems like such a simple thing, letting changes stick when using the drone on its own. I hope for firmware updates that allow that. Otherwise, maybe wait for the neo2
It does seem simple and it may change to some degree, but not fully I don't think.

I think the issue is the full interface (on the N3 or the RC with screen) for DJI Fly is much more detailed than the basic phone connection in portrait. I get the impression much of the complex settings are set by the controller not the drone itself so I can see why they don't stick across devices I suppose.

Now, IF the basic (portrait use) of the mobile app had much more in the way of tweaks it could easily carry them across, but I suspect the 'basic' use of the app is meant to be trouble free for people who've never flown one before and just want to use the hand take off stuff and never worry about tweaking the details.

If they started introducing the complexity of the full app into the basic mode (which would be great for carrying over things like sharpness settings) I suppose the question is 'where do they stop'? The full app use allows you to change detailed parameters of each control stick, speed of gimbal and a tonne of other stuff... I think the concern would be that first time users go completely mad with sliders and other settings, crash the thing, then complain.

OMM shared his experience in this tread

OMM shared his experience in this tread
That's interesting - wonder what setting he meant 'stayed in the basic app'.

If he meant sharpness etc - no way of checking that as there is no option in the basic app. I changed codec in the full RC app to 264 and that did NOT stick when i connected to the basic app only.

Not sure what else he changed that 'stuck'? Because there is little else you can monitor in the basic portrait app. Does he me in the quick shot settings? That would be helpful, and I admit I have not checked that between connection types

I agree. For me there is no point in getting the FMC if any setting changes you make to the camera don't transfer over to a phone only configuration or to just the Neo itself.

Having to have a phone plus the N3/N2 controller or the RC2 controller to use changes made to the camera settings seems pointless to me. Why have drone only control or phone only control if any settings made with a N3/N2/RC2 controller won't stick.

Chris

Hang on... we have conflicting reports here in the forum.

I've seen it reported in several places, here by more than one of our members, and in several YT reviews, that changes made using DJI Fly with the RC-N3 persist (stick) when subsequently flown standalone, or via wifi using the same phone and copy of DJI Fly.

@pauljmuk is the first claim I've seen that this is not the case. So, someone needs to do a thorough, complete experiment to get to the bottom of it.

There's a middle ground possibility as well. Some settings, like camera sharpening, may stick, while others, like camera manual (with ISO, SS, EV, and other exposure settings) are ignored, instead operating in AUTO EV=0 mode when standalone, which makes sense.

Reactions: Kilrah and Chrislaf
Hang on... we have conflicting reports here in the forum.

I've seen it reported in several places, here by more than one of our members, and in several YT reviews, that changes made using DJI Fly with the RC-N3 persist (stick) when subsequently flown standalone, or via wifi using the same phone and copy of DJI Fly.

@pauljmuk is the first claim I've seen that this is not the case. So, someone needs to do a thorough, complete experiment to get to the bottom of it.

There's a middle ground possibility as well. Some settings, like camera sharpening, may stick, while others, like camera manual (with ISO, SS, EV, and other exposure settings) are ignored, instead operating in AUTO EV=0 mode when standalone, which makes sense.
I agree. I am trying to figure out what is actually the case because it will determine whether I get the FMC or not and even whether the Neo is even suitable for me.

Chris

OK, retested more thoroughly by taking clips at +2 sharpness, 0 and -2 while connected with the RC3 and leaving it at -2 at the end, then power cycling the neo, connecting a phone and recording a clip again. Yesterday I had only used the RC3 to change the setting then always recorded with the phone.

So no, not stored, recording with the phone seems to always use 0 sharpness.

That said looking at the 3 like this -2 sharpness is really soft/blurry, seems 0 is quite the good balance to me in the end.

Is it possible to power up the neo and controller, then change the sharpness and exposure compensation settings using the controller, and then simply power down the controller but leave the neo powered up and use it autonomously? Wouldn’t it retain the settings that way?

Is it possible to power up the neo and controller, then change the sharpness and exposure compensation settings using the controller, and then simply power down the controller but leave the neo powered up and use it autonomously? Wouldn’t it retain the settings that way?
That’s a great question and would be a great work-around if that does work. It would make me a lot more willing to purchase it.

Chris

That’s a great question and would be a great work-around if that does work. It would make me a lot more willing to purchase it.

That's a great idea! Then you can just toss the N3 in your backpack for the walking/hiking uses you were talking about.

Little inconvenient when you change batteries, but realistically we're talking a minute or two.

And I would encourage everyone to post about this in the DJI forums requesting these features be added to the new wifi control personality of Fly, as well as sticky settings changes in the drone.

I'm very much expecting we'll get more options through updates, there wouldn't be things like the setting for color that currently only ever has one choice or the photo/video choice that only works in one shot type if they didn't intend to make use of them at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt