WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Landscape orientation on phone?

Phone control is limited. You have these tiny virtual knobs and they are proportional, but max speed is somewhere between Normal and Cine mode.

On each stick you can only use one axis at a time. Throttle or rotate. Pitch or roll. But not pitch & roll at the same time

Hoverair has already moved to normal landscape mode for manual control of their upcoming X1 pro/max

@Anzacjack, thank you for those photos - very helpful. I think I would find the Portrait control too cramped and the video feed display too small but I might just have to live with it if I decide to buy NEO. In a conversation with volate!lo over at TelloPilots (the developer of TelloFpv and other software), he was saying that the landscape limitation will go away since DJI has copied HoverAir and that the new HoverAir app has landscape control.

I notice a settings icon in your photos - can you adjust camera settings here, like sharpening? I have read in another thread on this forum that you need the RC-N3 or other compatible controller for this. If you have time can you open the setting icon and take a screenshot and post it here so I can see what it does.

Thank you for all your valuable help.

Chris

Reactions: Mrjohnhc1
I notice a settings icon in your photos - can you adjust camera settings here, like sharpening? I have read in another thread on this forum that you need the RC-N3 or other compatible controller for this.
There are some settings but that isn't one of them, hence the posts.

FWIW here's the landscape view... can't even see the whole camera view, no scrolling so can't get to the controls.

Screenshot_20240913-192818.jpg

There are some settings but that isn't one of them, hence the posts.

FWIW here's the landscape view... can't even see the whole camera view, no scrolling so can't get to the controls.

View attachment 838
Thanks for the reply. My hope is that DJI will make all the settings that you have when using an external controller available in a firmware update in the near future. If so that would greatly increase the chances that I might purchase one.

Chris

Phone control is limited. You have these tiny virtual knobs and they are proportional, but max speed is somewhere between Normal and Cine mode.

On each stick you can only use one axis at a time. Throttle or rotate. Pitch or roll. But not pitch & roll at the same time

Hoverair has already moved to normal landscape mode for manual control of their upcoming X1 pro/max

There's hope then... Maybe we all should go over to the Hover board with some phony names and flood it with posts praising this control interface as a Neo-killer, at the same time post in the DJI forums under our monikers here, complaining mightily that the Hover's going to destroy the Neo because of this.

😁

One question I have for those who use an external controller with the NEO is that if you modify camera settings like sharpness using the external controller, do they stick if you switch to a phone only configuration or do they go back to the defaults?

Chris

Man, I really hope so.
If configuration changes stick then that would sway me more toward the combo. I have never purchased a FMC for my drones. I usually only purchase what I need.

Chris

Seems it's... complicated.

I does store different profiles depending on control method, e.g. with goggles you can set it to 4/3 but when you go back to the RC-N3 or phone it'll be in 16/9 again. If you set -2 sharpness with the N3 and +2 in the goggles it remembers that (and the format) when you switch. But it seems the phone profile is shared with the N3, I've set it to -2 sharpness with the N3 then did a recording with the phone and it does seem a lot better.

N3's good to have to just fly it around without even connecting a phone IMO. And since you usually want more than 1 battery, and when you have more than 1 battery you want the charging hub... so the combo it is and in that (as long as you're not in the US) the N3 is pretty much only about $40ish as a part of it.

Last edited:

I does store different profiles depending on control method, e.g. with goggles you can set it to 4/3 but when you go back to the RC-N3 or phone it'll be in 16/9 again. If you set -2 sharpness with the N3 and +2 in the goggles it remembers that (and the format) when you switch. But it seems the phone profile is shared with the N3, I've set it to -2 sharpness with the N3 then did a recording with the phone and it does seem a lot better.

N3's good to have to just fly it around without even connecting a phone IMO. And since you usually want more than 1 battery, and when you have more than 1 battery you want the charging hub... so the combo it is and in that (as long as you're not in the US) the N3 is pretty much only about $40ish as a part of it.
If I am understanding your post correctly, if you change camera settings for example -2 sharpness for still photos, when you switch to just phone only those settings will not stick.

I'm in Canada so both the drone only and the FMC (with controller) are available right now. I usually buy the drone and one extra battery plus the charging hub for my drones, because most photography drones are usually available with the controller included. The exception was my Mini 3 Pro which I bought as drone only because I already had the RC Pro which was compatible at the time.

Chris

That actually make a lot of sense. I doubt the various phone-attached controllers are anything more than dumb radios, with all the software for various settings and most functionality done in Fly. This is why firmware updates to these accessories are far less frequent than the drone firmware, and the Fly app.

We've seen fixes and enhancements to camera settings and capability that have required updating drone firmware and the Fly app without new firmware for the screenless controller... Adding 10-bit dlog to the Mini3P comes to mind. No update required on the RC-N1.

So, same phone, same settings when running Fly. Switch to a different copy of Fly on a different device, whatever settings are stored there get sent to the drone.

If I am understanding your post correctly, if you change camera settings for example -2 sharpness for still photos, when you switch to just phone only those settings will not stick.

No, that's not right.

The settings follow the control program instance. Using the same phone and copy of Fly for wifi phone-only, or mounted on the RC-N2/3 radio, the settings will be preserved. By implication, the settings are stored in the copy of Fly on the phone, downloaded to the drone at startup.

Switch to goggles, different device with its own copy of Fly, settings, etc.

That actually make a lot of sense. I doubt the various phone-attached controllers are anything more than dumb radios, with all the software for various settings and most functionality done in Fly. This is why firmware updates to these accessories are far less frequent than the drone firmware, and the Fly app.

So, same phone, same settings when running Fly. Switch to a different copy of Fly on a different device, whatever settings are stored there get sent to the drone.
So if that is the case then camera settings made via an external controller like the N3 should stick when using the same phone as a phone only configuration. If that is the case then the FMC makes more sense.

If using a screened controller like the RC 2 then converting to phone only, then it makes sense the settings wouldn’t transfer as two separate copies of Fly are in use.

Chris

No, that's not right.

The settings follow the control program instance. Using the same phone and copy of Fly for wifi phone-only, or mounted on the RC-N2/3 radio, the settings will be preserved. By implication, the settings are stored in the copy of Fly on the phone, downloaded to the drone at startup.

Switch to goggles, different device with its own copy of Fly, settings, etc.
That’s what I thought but just trying to confirm settings stick in the basic version of Fly when using phone only.

Chris

If settings do in fact stick when changing from the RC-N3/N2 then that would be a significant advantage over a screened controller.

Chris

You don't need the same phone, camera settings have always been stored on the aircraft, as I said there just are different profiles stored by control method and RC3/phone seem to share the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt