WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Poor low-light performance of vps camera

GerdS

Reaction score
Compared to Mini 3 pro and 4 pro the NEO has only a poor quality pinhole camera for visual positioning which requires a high amount of light to function reliably, limiting indoor flying. I remember same low-light problems from my Mini 1 and Mini 2, which both had similar cameras.
After designing a clip-on light module adapter for my Avata 2, I thought why not try such a light module on the Neo as well and here is the result.
The light module weighs about 11g and is attached to the Neo battery with thin velcro. The smooth side of the velcro is on the battery side, so the battery still fits into the charger with a bit pressure.
I tried in a dark basement room and it works well. My light module comes from https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CRZ41ZRM.

IMG_20240909_110302.jpg IMG_20240909_105858.jpg IMG_20240909_105844.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing

I just watched a video from Captain Drone and he had trouble with the NEO inside his house - it kept landing because of low-light. Kind of reminds me of my Tello.

Chris

Very interesting... I have reels and reels of LED strips purchased with ambition to do all sorts of lighting projects that I just never got to. Super low profile, some that I have are incredibly bright.

I'm thinking I can mount a strip on the bottom of one battery and engineer some thin-wire connection system. Can use that batt for low light situations.

If I get to it, I'll post a thread here.

71-cAX6CItL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Low Lighting is always a concern when Doing interior work. I have even done interior work in houses with no electricity. I always bring auxiliary lighting with me.

Looks like the same (size) as it is in the Tello. Also the same problem....

Last edited:
Very similar...

Attachments

• IMG_20240910_115508.jpg
    IMG_20240910_115508.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: Mrjohnhc1
I just watched a video from Captain Drone and he had trouble with the NEO inside his house - it kept landing because of low-light. Kind of reminds me of my Tello.

Chris
I think exactly the same.

I just watched the OriginaldoBo, he had problems with real estate too.
It's not all that bad in my eyes. I don't think I'd do a "fly-through" like he did, but a slower panning-type video of each room.

Today I took the drone and flew only indoors in my apartment. The sensor really sucks. It was sunny outside, 4 p.m., the light condition was totally normal, but on a little darker places, it lost the vps completely. The real bad thing is, that regardless the mode, turns immediately to atti. I flew cine mode, since its a small apartment, in atti mode the drone reacts suddenly and speed difference between the 2 modes are really big, so very easy to crush. And also drifts a lot. After that I took the Tello, which had the same problems on those darker spots, but doesn't drift that much.

So, the Neo is surely flies very good indoors, but needs lots of light. In darker enviroment, I can recommend for seasoned pilots, cause needs continues manoeuvering.

Last edited:
I also see it drift in a dark room, everything is well for me when there's some light, so it seems enough for me.
The drifting is unpredictable though as you describe, you better be ready when it happens

You should probably also try to clean the pinhole while you're at it, I hear some people do lawn work with their neos ;)

If Neo is a success (and I expect it will be, for the market it's targeted at), Neo 2 will very likely improve this with a better downward camera.

Or, following the Hover strategy, Neo Pro with better sensors, motors, camera, pid tuning, improvement that make it a better tinywhoop for the experienced hobbyist while being a high-end model for the SoCal Rodeo Drive shopping teens 😁

If Neo is a success (and I expect it will be, for the market it's targeted at), Neo 2 will very likely improve this with a better downward camera.

Or, following the Hover strategy, Neo Pro with better sensors, motors, camera, pid tuning, improvement that make it a better tinywhoop for the experienced hobbyist while being a high-end model for the SoCal Rodeo Drive shopping teens 😁
You never know at dji.... I consider the Tello a big success (on the market for 6,5 years, unchanged, and instead of getting cheaper, even more expensive, than before), were waiting for Tello 2, Tello Pro, but nothing came, until now. 6,5 years...

You never know at dji.... I consider the Tello a big success (on the market for 6,5 years, unchanged, and instead of getting cheaper, even more expensive, than before), were waiting for Tello 2, Tello Pro, but nothing came, until now. 6,5 years...

I wonder if being a Rhyze product rather than DJI branded had any impact...

I wonder if being a Rhyze product rather than DJI branded had any impact...
I think it was a bluff from dji. I did a research years ago and lately and ended up, that "ryze robotics" actually not doing anything else, just the Tello. Started in 2017. Very hard to imagine, that a brand new startup is able to design and manufacture such a high quality drone, with this precision on this scale.... I think it was a project from dji, to blame on, if it fails. And after the success, stop doing anything else. Never ever anybody came out, with new model or update. Kinda strange...

IIRC the Tello was basically a showcase for that Movidius chip, Intel acquired the company and Ryze was basically set up to make something with it to promote it likely with heavy "subsidies", and licensed DJI tech to make that quick. Unsurprising that wouldn't repeat.

IIRC the Tello was basically a showcase for that Movidius chip, Intel acquired the company and Ryze was basically set up to make something with it to promote it likely with heavy "subsidies", and licensed DJI tech to make that quick. Unsurprising that wouldn't repeat.
But why keeps it dji in the lineup? After many years? And why don't they reduce the price?

Don't know...
Maybe they had tons of leftover stock and figure the education market will keep wanting them regardless of price so no need to take a loss liquidating them
Maybe they're still manufacturing them but the promotional discounts on components are now gone so the price is now "real"/following inflation

Last edited:
Don't know...
Maybe they had tons of leftover stock and figure the education market will keep wanting them regardless of price so no need to take a loss liquidating them
Maybe they're still manufacturing them but the promotional discounts on components are now gone so the price is now "real"
Doesn't matter actually. I'm in need for reliably flying mini drones, because I live a small country. I kept on buying Tellos, because it's easy "max out" (mines fly 400 - 500 m), fly awesome and don't have gps (we have a lot of no fly zones). Let's see, how the Neo flies...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt