WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

FPV Usage

you can't even get to manual without goggles and fpv controller afaik

Last edited:
Reactions: Christian
go have a look at this guy, he's phenomenal in LOS
pretty sure he drives the gimbal to its limits and beyond, the footage may be totally unusable

Last edited:
Reactions: okw
pretty sure he drives the gimbal to its limits and beyond
It just stays fixed in manual.

Neat, it's got more power than I'd have expected, and doesn't seem to show its limit similarly to the Avata 1.

Looks like the ELRS is the best, but many small drones have FrSky receiver.
ELRS has pretty much taken over! It can be a big, big pain at times (whats your secret word lol) BUT ELRS or Crossfire are the two fave's right now. DJI Air units are very popular BUT Walksnail is catching up fast. It's open, a bit cheaper, and almost just as reliable as Occusync. FPV is not long range flying so I think most all recievers are fine for it. FRsky D-8 was the Major way to talk to a drone a few years back Now thank goodness not so much. I find FR sky recievers a pain to get binded or flash sometimes.

I just went ahead and bit the bullet, Goggles 3 and fpv controller 3 on the way.
:D You will be setup for the Dozens of Drones that will be sold with Air 4 Units!!! There will be A LOT of them for sure!!

Interesting to read all the thoughts about goggles but for me, I can't use them.

Reactions: sarahb
Not a baited question, but you all that use goggles, do you always have a visual observer? If not, are you concerned about the FAA citing you? Just curious.
I guess I feel like the guy on I-65 everyone is doing 85 in a 70 but I'm the one that gets caught :)

Reactions: sarahb and Cafguy
I will have to admit that with some of my tiny Drones I have gone into the backyard and flown around the swing sets and stuff without a visual observer. Having said that, I would never do it with others around or anywhere else besides my place even a 70 gram Drone can hurt a child so there's that. FPV is more fun in a group!!!

Reactions: NEO 317 and GFields
Not a baited question, but you all that use goggles, do you always have a visual observer? If not, are you concerned about the FAA citing you? Just curious.
I guess I feel like the guy on I-65 everyone is doing 85 in a 70 but I'm the one that gets caught :)
I exclusively fly on my own property in the countryside which spans a few km²,
there is no FAA here,
and I'm too ashamed if someone sees my crap flying skills :)
Most of the time I fly alone but when my partner is around they also don't really care.

I wouldn't fly like that near other buildings or in the city, where sometimes (rare but possible) a radio car drives around.
They look like this around here
messwagen-jpg.1367

Unfortunately most FPV flyer including myself do not have those concerns for several reasons. If the FAA comes around and you are that unlucky, I guess you take your licks but we are hoping the defacto exemption would come about starting with Google 3 and their passthru capabilities. This should level the playing field and put us on the same plane with ordinary camera drone flyers.

Unfortunately most FPV flyer including myself do not have those concerns for several reasons. If the FAA comes around and you are that unlucky, I guess you take your licks but we are hoping the defacto exemption would come about starting with Google 3 and their passthru capabilities. This should level the playing field and put us on the same plane with ordinary camera drone flyers.
I suppose most FPV flyers are just recreational and not flying professionally. I have only had a couple of clients to ask if I did that to film the interior of their business. That's why I thought I would try the NEO. I have flown interior using the Air 2s and Air 3 with no problems and the clients were pleased with the outcome.

I suppose most FPV flyers are just recreational and not flying professionally. I have only had a couple of clients to ask if I did that to film the interior of their business. That's why I thought I would try the NEO. I have flown interior using the Air 2s and Air 3 with no problems and the clients were pleased with the outcome.
Cool, I think NEO is good for indoors where you don't need FAA, a spotter, RID, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if for some folks that would also include the minor exterior nearby portions of the property as well. ;)

Reactions: Cafguy
Reactions: Cafguy and sarahb
1) I don't fly around people, 2) with something as light as the Neo I'd tell them to go arrest the kids playing football cause getting hit by a ball in the face would be more likely and hurt more.

These might help with regard to FPV. I'm waiting for BF/holidays:

A lot of, "well DUH 🙄" watching those.

It simply isn't a free-style drone, and it's not being marketed that way.

However, DJI has opened FPV to an entirely different market segment with the Avata and the Motion Control interface, and I'll bet it's pretty fun that way.

You can fly the neo how you want. With the RC-N3/N2 like any other dji photo drone, but if someone has a goggles 3 and motion controller / FPV controller 3, it works like a FPV drone.

And more... voice control too (coming in future F/W... man the baby was kicked out the door early, thanks Zero Zero Robotics!)

Reactions: sarahb
Not "primary use"... that's the whole thing about the neo, you can fly it in all of the ways any DJI aircraft have ever been able to be flown.
Usually you had to buy a different aircraft for each flying style, this one can do them all. Of course it's gonna catch the FPV audience since it's the first time you can do so with a DJI drone without buying a purpose-specific model, and overall it's a really good option for the price.

^This.

The Neo is trying to fill several roles, the primary being selfie drone Hover X1 competition. Not surprising it does that well, and the other uses are compromises to some extent.

No different than a racing Nazgul in reverse. Kick some serious behind whipping through gates at 90mph. Not so good doing an automated dronie.

So don't try and use it that way. You want to do some Acro? But want the benefits of the DJI safety systems and exceptional angle-mode operation (N/S flight)? The DJI FPV and Avata 2 are decent drones. take it to the ultimate level with a non-DJI drone designed for freestyle.

Freestyle and racing FPV pilots are barking up the wrong tree with the Neo. There's a lot more FPV than just these uses. It gets a little annoying to constantly be told this isn't an FPV drone because it's not good for the most demanding FPV use, when it's bringing real FPV to many more people that will never do anything more difficult than an Easy Acro flip.

The club has opened its membership to a huge group of FPV ruffians... get used to – and over – it, veterans.

Reactions: mavic3usa

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt