WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Flying with neo + 1

RcHawks

Reaction score
You know it's going to happen, what's the rules for flying your drone ma2 m3p or whatever and having the neo document your flight in follow mode while you're doing your thing. Does it count as flying two drones when the neo is in that auto mode without a rc being used? My thought is that it would be disallowed but has this ever came up before? Pretty cool little drone.

And you were right, in terms of law and rules I'd say authorities will still try to convince that you did fly 2 drones at the same time.

Which makes your point valid and open for discussion as there are literally zero rules to a autonomous drone with 135g (at least in my area)

Reactions: RcHawks and Kilrah
Depends where, but again a case of laws being made without consideration for unexpected cases like the neo.
In many places If it's fully autonomous and you're not monitoring it (because you're flying the other one) then it needs specific authorizations same as BVLOS that require extensive paperwork and maybe months to authorize every single flight... because it shoves it into the "we don't know what do do with those so have to look at every single case individually" category where 140gr or 100kg is the same.

Reactions: RcHawks
I would say it would be better safe than sorry. I wouldn't do it. Although vague, it could be argued that you are indeed flying two drones at the same time. Or, at the very least an argument for it being unsafe to do it.

Reactions: sarahb and RcHawks
And you were right, in terms of law and rules I'd say authorities will still try to convince that you did fly 2 drones at the same time.

No need to convince anyone.

You are the PIC whether on autopilot or hands on the controls. The regulations deliberately make no distinction, the concept of the PIC being responsible for whatever happens with the aircraft being the focus of the rules. When your Mini3P is shooting a hyperlapse over 20 minutes, you're still the PIC and 100% responsible for anything that happens.

You can not legally do this. You are only allowed to be flying a single aircraft. "Flying" being rather flexible, meaning whoever is PIC is "flying" the aircraft, regardless of any automation or technology assist.

That said, I'll be giving it a go when I get mine, someplace safe with no one around anywhere. Like a big open field, fenced in... HS Football field anyone?

The rules need to evolve.

Last edited:
Reactions: okw

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt