WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Category 1, Operation Over People out of the box!

jaja6009

Reaction score
One thing that I think people are not stressing enough is that this great little drone is FAA Category 1, Operations Over People out of the box!

Category 1 does not need a DOC, labeling and such. No waiver is needed either.

We now have choices besides the waiver process for OOP.

Category 1 - NEO
Category 2 and 3 - AG Eagle and the Matrice 3D/TD

Reactions: Mrjohnhc1
One issue is that the Neo has no Remote ID, so can't use it for Part 107 work.

I recently posted from the DJI FORUM that the RID is functional, but in China and Japan at this time.

Gonna' need a module for commercial work / Part 107 if in the USA.

I don't think the NEO could handle the weight of a module along the flight characteristics with it attached.

Future updates may provide internal RID. 🤔

@Droning on and on... said : "Yes, but don't you need a 107 cert to apply that provision?"

@jaja6009 said: "Yes, Part 107 only."

To clarify and please correct me if I'm wrong. Re: Cat 1...One does not need 107 cert to oop recreationally but one does if oop commercially.
The OOP is for Part 107 only.
So either:

DJI will have to enable Remote ID (If Possible, should be able to)
Attach a Alternative Remote ID module to the drone (Brings its own issues)

The OOP is for Part 107 only.
So either:

DJI will have to enable Remote ID (If Possible, should be able to)
Attach a Alternative Remote ID module to the drone (Brings its own issues)
People will choose option 2: Operate the drone stock out of box for all your recreational *and* commercial needs and not a single NEO will be entered into the FAA database because no one plans to attach an RID module to it, not even for commercial work. Not for youtubers and their businesses and their paid channels and not for pilots who fly around the tight exterior of properties.

This is all confusing and that's what happens when the rules don't make sense or they are put into place for the not the right reasons. Despite any category listing, no one will be able to legally fly sustained flight with a NEO over large uninvolved crowds. At some people you will be challenge and if so, what's the use? Not going to be much different than flying a MINI if you have explain or break out paperwork or use google on your phone to prove it. A thousand people in the group and two or three people won't like it and the organizer won't like it either which means it's a waste of time because anybody could have approached the situation with *any* drone beforehand, you didn't need NEO to do that. Flying a NEO over a concert these days and if they don't recognize, they will stop the concert and at that point, you lose. No one is going to say "Oh that's a category 1 NEO, it's ok, keep playing." Adding a NEO to the drone mix doesn't change anything you can't convince a few people that it won't hurt anyone and nobody will buy that. 150g and 250g and a cage means nothing to ordinary people.

This is such a waste. The NEO is for your own personal use in your own little space. If you stand outside the fence on the public sidewalk and you launch your NEO over and onto the youth soccer field during a game and you fly over the bench and over the spectators and you do a few laps up and down the field during play and you hover over the crowd, you can expect to be told to stop it. And there won't be any "they'll soon get use to it" because if they did, the MINI and the rest of the toy drones would have done it by now. NEO is too annoying to be safe, even the sound it emits comes across as threatening.

I really wish we can get clarification on that. Do you need Remote ID to operate a drone over large crowds of uninvolved people? Can a drone truly bear a category 1 classification if it doesn't not have standard RID?

I recently posted from the DJI FORUM that the RID is functional, but in China and Japan at this time.

Gonna' need a module for commercial work / Part 107 if in the USA.

I don't think the NEO could handle the weight of a module along the flight characteristics with it attached.

Future updates may provide internal RID. 🤔

Oh boy, here we go again. If DJI enables RID later thru a software update, does that mean some NEOs will have remote ID and some won't?

What good is that? It's just a game at that point.

People will choose option 2: Operate the drone stock out of box for all your recreational *and* commercial needs and not a single NEO will be entered into the FAA database because no one plans to attach an RID module to it, not even for commercial work. Not for youtubers and their businesses and their paid channels and not for pilots who fly around the tight exterior of properties.

This is all confusing and that's what happens when the rules don't make sense or they are put into place for the not the right reasons. Despite any category listing, no one will be able to legally fly sustained flight with a NEO over large uninvolved crowds. At some people you will be challenge and if so, what's the use? Not going to be much different than flying a MINI if you have explain or break out paperwork or use google on your phone to prove it. A thousand people in the group and two or three people won't like it and the organizer won't like it either which means it's a waste of time because anybody could have approached the situation with *any* drone beforehand, you didn't need NEO to do that. Flying a NEO over a concert these days and if they don't recognize, they will stop the concert and at that point, you lose. No one is going to say "Oh that's a category 1 NEO, it's ok, keep playing." Adding a NEO to the drone mix doesn't change anything you can't convince a few people that it won't hurt anyone and nobody will buy that. 150g and 250g and a cage means nothing to ordinary people.

This is such a waste. The NEO is for your own personal use in your own little space. If you stand outside the fence on the public sidewalk and you launch your NEO over and onto the youth soccer field during a game and you fly over the bench and over the spectators and you do a few laps up and down the field during play and you hover over the crowd, you can expect to be told to stop it. And there won't be any "they'll soon get use to it" because if they did, the MINI and the rest of the toy drones would have done it by now. NEO is too annoying to be safe, even the sound it emits comes across as threatening.
Even if the Neo had Remote ID and could be flown over people, I think there are better options out there with less prop noise. I think flying the Neo over people would be a distraction to bystanders. I think you would get a lot of “Shut that [expletive] drone off” comments.

I fly for public safety and we must follow all rules per the city and administration.
The Neo at first glance looked like a winner.
With Standard Remote ID it would be Category 1 OOP, which would be a nice tool for our special events.
It would make for a nice training drone for FPV since our PD is getting 2 Avatas very soon. The low cost of just the individual drone is appealing since we will have the goggles and FPV controllers already.
The following ability could make for some interesting perspective videos for training evolutions.

We will be receiving our COA very soon and while the COA will allow OOP during an emergency, the Neo and the Matrice 3D could give us more tools with OOP at other times.

I am still hopeful that with some constant chatter, DJI will enable Remote ID (If the hardware can support it).
An add on module will work, but it just introduces other problems with the reduced flight times, securly attaching it, remembering to charge it. I like to keep it as simple and easy as possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt