WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Watching with interest!

The best answer is to add support for the RC1 drones to the RC2, and then offer an attractively priced trade-in for the RC1. Then a refurbished fire sale on RC1's for the budget conscious with Mini 3(P) drones to upgrade from the RC-N1.

Supporting O4 and O3 on the RC1 is probably not possible given the poor design an extremely limited resources, like RAM.

I know, stop with all that fantasy stuff... 😁
The RC1 does have limited resources so I realize it is not likely to be supported . My RC1 came with my Mavic 3 pro so it is an extra controller.

I would like to see the RC Pro supported, it has the resources. I know it’s not the target controller for the NEO but it would be great to have one controller to fly my Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 3 Pro and possibly a future NEO. Makes more environmental sense.

Chris

Reactions: PAW and Mrjohnhc1
I would like to see the RC Pro supported, it has the resources. I know it’s not the target controller for the NEO but it would be great to have one controller to fly my Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 3 Pro and possibly a future NEO. Makes more environmental sense.

Can't argue with that. DJI has other practical business considerations to deal with that are not in the customer's best interest, but are hard realities... supporting a product costs money and resources, technology moves on so engineering expertise gets stale, you get the picture. Products have a limited life cycle, and then are left to history.

A mainframe system from IBM purchased in 1980 to run FORTRAN-based software to run Air Traffic Control regional radar? That may still be supported, at a hefty hefty price annually for the support contract.

An RC for a consumer drone that DJI is getting no revenue to continue support? It'll reach bugfix-only support in 2-5 years, and then be dropped entirely, End Of Life, not too long after that.

A quote from the movie Jerry McGuire comes to mind...

Reactions: Mrjohnhc1
I found this interesting:

RC-N2 5200 mAh
RC-N3 2600 mAh

According to manuals
That is interesting. Why not just use the RC-N2 in the FMC.

Edited my post. It’s not lower powered, just less battery capacity and likely a cost saving measure.

Chris

Last edited:
The RC1 does have limited resources so I realize it is not likely to be supported . My RC1 came with my Mavic 3 pro so it is an extra controller.

Chris
Probably won’t see the RC and RC Pro supported because they run Occusync 3.0, which is a radio transmission based on the hardware in the controller. While it is a proprietary system, I do think it’s a hardware limitation based on what I’ve read up on Occusync. Much like you can’t put WiFI 7 standards into a WiFi 6E router.

Probably won’t see the RC and RC Pro supported because they run Occusync 3.0, which is a radio transmission based on the hardware in the controller. While it is a proprietary system, I do think it’s a hardware limitation based on what I’ve read up on Occusync. Much like you can’t put WiFI 7 standards into a WiFi 6E router.
I agree, but there’s always hope.

I guess at some point improvements in transmission protocols will plateau and we will finally have a controller that can be used with many drones.

Chris

The new NEO is an interesting drone and reminds me of my previous Spark which I loved since it can be flown in a variety of ways. It also reminds me of the Tello which could also just be flown with a phone and is small and light. I have always wanted to try FPV but am not willing to spend lots of $$$ just to get goggles and a controller to do FPV. The price point of the NEO only package makes it a tempting purchase, but to use it with FPV would require me to purchase additional accessories I don't have, like the goggles and a controller. I am hoping DJI will release a budget set of goggles that the rumour mill has been talking about to compliment the drone. I am also hoping that maybe DJI will make it compatible with some of the screened controllers like the DJI RC and the DJI RC 2, but based on DJI not making other newer tech not backward compatible, I am not holding my breath.

For now I will wait and see what others who buy this drone, think of it. Looking forward to reading on NEOPilots about the experiences of people who have it.

Chris
I ordered the NEO, drone only and it will be here today. I already have the RC-N2, which is compatible, and if my suspicions are correct, at some point the NEO will also be compatible with the Goggles2/MC2 same as the Air 3 and mini 4 pro are now which I also own. Looking forward to it's arrival and getting it charged up and setup!

I ordered the NEO, drone only and it will be here today. I already have the RC-N2, which is compatible, and if my suspicions are correct, at some point the NEO will also be compatible with the Goggles2/MC2 same as the Air 3 and mini 4 pro are now which I also own. Looking forward to it's arrival and getting it charged up and setup!
Congrats on your purchase! For me, I’m going to wait and see how things pan out. My current drones are just extensions of my land cameras that compliment my photography passion.

If I were to get the NEO it would be as a cheap fun way to get into FPV, but right now all the accessories needed to do that far outweighs the low cost of the NEO drone itself. I would not be purchasing it for photography, but I can see limited situations were it could be handy.

Chris

Probably won’t see the RC and RC Pro supported because they run Occusync 3.0, which is a radio transmission based on the hardware in the controller.

Actually no, this is incorrect. There is no hardware necessary to support the O4 protocol. It's a simple matter of firmware for the SDR, a radio technology used in both controllers.

There are some hardware differences in O4 aircraft in terms of antennas, and that's necessary to get the maximum range, but not required by the protocol.

I ordered the NEO, drone only and it will be here today. I already have the RC-N2, which is compatible, and if my suspicions are correct, at some point the NEO will also be compatible with the Goggles2/MC2 same as the Air 3 and mini 4 pro are now which I also own.

IMO, this is exceedingly unlikely because the MC2 connects directly to the drone, requiring the drone to multiplex that with the Goggles signal. It's also O3.

Given the price, it's likely some of this comes via cheaper resources (less RAM, NVM, processor capability), and what is there is having to handle more tasks than older models, like AI computation for tracking, voice control, etc.

Given this, I just don't think there's enough available to add O3 support and managing a connection to the MC2.

It would be nice, but I don't think anyone should purchase a Neo expecting this to happen.

IMO, this is exceedingly unlikely because the MC2 connects directly to the drone, requiring the drone to multiplex that with the Goggles signal. It's also O3.

Given the price, it's likely some of this comes via cheaper resources (less RAM, NVM, processor capability), and what is there is having to handle more tasks than older models, like AI computation for tracking, voice control, etc.

Given this, I just don't think there's enough available to add O3 support and managing a connection to the MC2.

It would be nice, but I don't think anyone should purchase a Neo expecting this to happen.
You are very likely right, but I remember everyone saying that the Goggles2 and MC2 would never be compatible with the Air3 and Mini4 pro because they are O4 aircraft and the Goggles2 and MC2 are O3, but they are now compatible, so who knows? I might get lucky with the NEO as well. Time will tell.

You are very likely right, but I remember everyone saying that the Goggles2 and MC2 would never be compatible with the Air3 and Mini4 pro because they are O4 aircraft and the Goggles2 and MC2 are O3, but they are now compatible, so who knows? I might get lucky with the NEO as well. Time will tell.

I wish that would help, but what few know is that this was accomplished by adding support for O3 to the aircraft, not O4 to the MC2 and Goggles 2.

Hence my strong skepticism about the Neo, for the reasons I mentioned. And to just further the argument, they gotta leave some resource margin for future enhancements, features, and bug fixes.

But hey, I'm certainly no opponent... just not hopeful.

Does that mean the Air 3 and the Mini 4 could be controlled by an RC1?

I had been considering the goggles 2 for my mini 3 pro but with all the talk of O3 vs O4 I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a Mini 4 so future components will all be compatible...

Does that mean the Air 3 and the Mini 4 could be controlled by an RC1?

I had been considering the goggles 2 for my mini 3 pro but with all the talk of O3 vs O4 I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a Mini 4 so future components will all be compatible...
No the mini 4 can only be controlled with the RC2 or RC-N2.

Avata 2 also got support for the FPV RC2 and Goggles 2 instead of its "native" RC3 / G3 but with significantly worse performance, so there are caveats.

After watching a few videos of the NEO, one of the things that concerns me is the noise it makes. It seems like it has a pretty loud and irritating sound. That's fine if you are flying in an area with no one around but in an area with people not involved in the flight it could be a problem and unlike the typical drone this one is designed to be flown low and near objects.

Because this drone is more accessible to the masses due to its price and weight, it will be interesting to see how this all works out for people who fly it near others.

Chris

After watching a few videos of the NEO, one of the things that concerns me is the noise it makes. It seems like it has a pretty loud and irritating sound. That's fine if you are flying in an area with no one around but in an area with people not involved in the flight it could be a problem and unlike the typical drone this one is designed to be flown low and near objects.
Yeah, I definitely won't be flying the Neo near a gathering of people. Would draw way too much attention to myself.

has to be a *why* (no fly-more kit)... but can't figure-out what that reason would be.. do YOU have any idea?
It has been speculated here that the N3 didn't receive FCC certification soon enough for the release. Not sure if that's really the case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt