WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

FAA non Registration for DJI NEO But . . . ?

TheChosen1

Reaction score
So DJI NEO is less than 250 grams meaning that there is no FAA registration requirement, but I am assuming that there is still going to be a Remote ID requirement pinging from that little bad boy, that being said, without registering the drone how will FAA know immediately who said drone belongs to? I mean if it is lost and does not have a Reg number, I'm assuming they would contact DJI and provide serial number of drone if it is legible after an incident or accident. Any Thoughts from anyone?

Reactions: Mrjohnhc1
Here's a screen grab from DJI's official site that may help concerning RID and the NEO.

Screenshot_20240907_113915_Chrome.jpg

So DJI NEO is less than 250 grams meaning that there is no FAA registration requirement, but I am assuming that there is still going to be a Remote ID requirement pinging from that little bad boy, that being said, without registering the drone how will FAA know immediately who said drone belongs to? I mean if it is lost and does not have a Reg number, I'm assuming they would contact DJI and provide serial number of drone if it is legible after an incident or accident. Any Thoughts from anyone?
According to this article, the DJI NEO does NOT support RID

Super helpful NEO 317, Thanks! This little platform will only be used recreationally so no need to burden the little NEO platform frame with the compact Z-RID RFID tattle tail black box that I already have registered.

Wow, this is disappointing.
For us Part 107 people, this is a big let down.

For Part 107, all drones used must be registered and broadcast Remote ID.

Also for Category 1 OOP, since you must fly under Part 107 this will NOT be compliant.

Wow, this is disappointing.
For us Part 107 people, this is a big let down.

For Part 107, all drones used must be registered and broadcast Remote ID.

Also for Category 1 OOP, since you must fly under Part 107 this will NOT be compliant.
Correct

Perhaps DJI is thinking ahead and maybe someday soon in the firmware for the U.S. Those who wish to use the NEO for commercial purposes will be able to. This thing is just to useful a tool to keep it Recreational only.
The FAA never knows quickly who owns a drone, even if its registered its going to take the Government what it takes the Government to find the I.D. of the Operator or owner.
One of the great myths of RID is that now somehow "They can see me at the tower". Nothing could be further from the truth. There is NO radar screen that sees RID. and as far as I know only a few devices used by Government employees and those unreliable Apps used by Karens are the only way to "watch" Drone or RID activity on a normal day.
I mean if it is lost and does not have a Reg number, I'm assuming they would contact DJI and provide serial number of drone if it is legible after an incident or accident.
Don't worry in cases like that if they have the drone they don't need RID Some uniformed as well as suited Government Employees will be knocking on their door soon enough

I had the whole package in my DJI Store cart.
Drone, both controllers, Goggles 3, 2 Years Care, etc.

It all came to a screeching halt after reading this forum.
This is why this forum and its sister sites are so great.
Facts.
I assumed that it would have Remote ID, since it will be such a great content creator drone and a large number of content creators monetize their content.
Thank you forum! Hopefully, DJI enables Remote ID in a firmware update if the hardware supports it.

What about the Trust Certificate? Age restrictions as stand alone or age restriction with rc? Just wondering.

Here's a screen grab from DJI's official site that may help concerning RID and the NEO.

View attachment 795

This is very helpful to see. In the UK and EU we don't have an RID requirement at the present time, but I know that it has been passed in UK law and it is awaiting implementation before 2026. Not sure where EU law is on this yet.

Other drone manufacturers are recommending a RID dongle to attach to the drone. This is a simple work around, but I wonder about the effect of the additional weight on battery life, flight handling etc. For now, I have at least 18 months to worry - by which time I imagine there will be a new model with all the requirements!

What about the Trust Certificate? Age restrictions as stand alone or age restriction with rc? Just wondering.
Yes, all recreation pilots must pass the TRUST text

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt