WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

NEO noise reactions?

Chrislaf

Reaction score
For those who have flown their NEO in close proximity to others (not involved in your flight), like on a trail in the woods, how do they react to the high pitched wine? Do they seem irritated or disturbed by its noise?

Chris

Reactions: RcHawks
My wife finds it irritating! In fact despises it. As do my dogs.

She says my Mini 3 Pro is whisper quiet in comparison

Not a trail comparison, but I trust her judgement!

Reactions: Chrislaf
For those who have flown their NEO in close proximity to others (not involved in your flight), like on a trail in the woods, how do they react to the high pitched wine? Do they seem irritated or disturbed by its noise?

Chris
Not too good. I work in a hotel, brought the neo is, because I don't really have anything to do, flew it in the park. After a few minutes, the manager sent me a message to stop flying, because the guests complaining, that the drone is loud. 😏

Not too good. I work in a hotel, brought the neo is, because I don't really have anything to do, flew it in the park. After a few minutes, the manager sent me a message to stop flying, because the guests complaining, that the drone is loud. 😏
Yep - I find it fascinating to see on forums people are adamantly defending it saying it's 'no louder'. It really REALLY is.

Or rather it really REALLY is more irritating!

Yep - I find it fascinating to see on forums people are adamantly defending it saying it's 'no louder'. It really REALLY is.

Or rather it really REALLY is more irritating!
I had many drones, the Spark was the loudest so far, but had a lower pitch. I still have a couple of Tellos, so my ears got use to high pitch mini drones. I'm fpv pilot, the neo won't be used to take photos or videos, I fly far away from people, so it won't be a problem for me. I think we don't have to wait long and the Master Airscrew presents alternative, probably lower pitch propellers.
The only thing I can recommend to everyone (not only because of noise, but also for a little more flight time amd more wind resistance) to take off prop guards (the grid above the propellers)

Last edited:
When I do follows on my bike I regularly have to check behind me for other cyclists.

They sometimes do hear the noise and wonder where it comes from,
MOST of the time they ride RIGHT besides it and don't realize - this is dangerous and the reason I turn around to look.

So be aware of that, there was one cyclist once riding like 10cm from it and yet they did not see it.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Noise, like camera settings is one of those things about the NEO where there seems to be conflicting views. Just trying to get a general idea.

Just got back from a walk in the woods on a trail I often take to a flying location. I was walking with my son and used my Mini 3 Pro to track us from the front. He knew the drone was there but it didn't bother him. I suspect it would be a completely different thing with the NEO since he does not like loud noises.

Chris

I just had a flight over 4 large vultures in a empty field on the ground and I was shocked how close I was allowed to fly over and in front of them. It never disturbed them Wow, that was a first for me to do that.

Sorry I didn't notice until now that I failed to post it was a mini 3 P I was flying, I haven't ordered a neo as of yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses so far. Noise, like camera settings is one of those things about the NEO where there seems to be conflicting views. Just trying to get a general idea.

Just got back from a walk in the woods on a trail I often take to a flying location. I was walking with my son and used my Mini 3 Pro to track us from the front. He knew the drone was there but it didn't bother him. I suspect it would be a completely different thing with the NEO since he does not like loud noises.

Chris
Are they REALLY conflicted views though? The vast majority I see suggest it's noisy. And if not noisy on a dB meter, certainly 'whiney'.

My Mini 3 Pro is whisper quiet in comparison.

I'm not complaining about the Neo - love it - but it is NOT stealthy

Everyone is saying it’s noisy but I guess what I am after is for those who don’t fly a drone, how tolerable is it.

Chris

Everyone is saying it’s noisy but I guess what I am after is for those who don’t fly a drone, how tolerable is it.

Chris
Fair enough. I can only compare it to other drones you could choose - it's the noisiest i've owned since an early version of the Mavic

I have a toy drone for night flying that has that annoying high pitch, it's not too bad once it's away from you, but yeah I also wonder just how annoying it might be, and honestly that's something that's held me back about with the Avata is the possible noise it makes while flying. I like being out of sight, out of mind.

Often I am on trails by myself so the noise wouldn’t be an issue but I when I am walking with my wife and son it likely would be since it kind of defeats the purpose of having a peaceful walk in the woods.

Having a drone like this means weighing the pros and cons and right now the pros are outweighing the cons.

Chris

Okay, totally not gonna happen (probably), but I'm wondering if a speaker on the drone could blast out an inverted phase of the sound picked up by an on-board mic, canceling out some of the sound?

Similar to how noise canceling headphones work.

Learn about it here: Active Noise Control

This should be pretty inexpensive to implement, so maybe? If it happened, the first to get it out the door would have a GINORMOUS advantage. Imagine a near silent Neo.

Earplugs (lifetime of factory work) which has preserved my hearing, I'm lucky they were required. Noise canceling earbuds ( I have several ) which does a very good job of masking outside noise might be an answer for many if the noise is intrusive.

Earplugs (lifetime of factory work) which has preserved my hearing, I'm lucky they were required. Noise canceling earbuds ( I have several ) which does a very good job of masking outside noise might be an answer for many if the noise is intrusive.
Earplugs/earbuds are a good solution for the person flying the drone but no for any bystanders who might happen by.

Chris

Yet to be tested here.

Reactions: sarahb and RcHawks
I would like to add that noises that seem so loud to me working in the kitchen with my wife like banging pots and glassware doesn't bother her at all. With me it's the opposite. I now wear earplugs while working with her now so the issue isn't a problem. Everyone is different.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt