WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Is Pitch a Problem ?

AusTrekie

Reaction score
Was intending to purchase this drone, but various YouTube videos have the drone with a very high pitch, has this been an issue ? I have an Air 3 and Mini 4 Pro, which are not noticeably noisy. Has this been an issue, I would image it would annoy people in close proximity. Any thoughts or opinions as still deciding.

Reactions: NEO 317
Hello from the Crossroads of America AusTrekie.

I don't have one yet, but the videos I've seen (and heard) the pitch noise is ramped up and it could be annoying to those around you or yourself.

It looks like a fun little drone but may draw attention if around other people.

Watch videos and hear for yourself.

Welcome to the NEO Forum. :cool:

Reactions: GFields
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Most, if not all, drones of this type have the high pitch sound

Reactions: NEO 317 and sarahb
prop size & brushless motors give that pitch. Anything in this size is going to be like a nasty hornet.
It is OK outdoors. But I am not allowed to fly indoors if wife or kids are at home.
I let Neo hover in my office just a meter away for a battery test, took almost 18min and after that I can relate.

If you like to be at dentist, you'll love it. 😎😁

prop size & brushless motors give that pitch. Anything in this size is going to be like a nasty hornet.
It is OK outdoors. But I am not allowed to fly indoors if wife or kids are at home.
I let Neo hover in my office just a meter away for a battery test, took almost 18min and after that I can relate.
I had planned partly to use inside, but pitch definitely an issue, don’t believe my neighbours would be impressed.

There is an inescapable physics relationship between blad length and prop noise, and pitch.

Shorter blades require higher RPM and steeper blade pitch angle to develop necessary lift. These two factors increase the turbulence around the blade, which translates into noise.

Also, another blade is added to increase lift and reduce the necessary RPM. However, this will increase the pitch of the resulting noise. A 3 blade prop will "sing" at a frequency 50% higher than a 2 blade prop at the same RPM.

There is an inescapable physics relationship between blad length and prop noise, and pitch.

Shorter blades require higher RPM and steeper blade pitch angle to develop necessary lift. These two factors increase the turbulence around the blade, which translates into noise.

Also, another blade is added to increase lift and reduce the necessary RPM. However, this will increase the pitch of the resulting noise. A 3 blade prop will "sing" at a frequency 50% higher than a 2 blade prop at the same RPM.
Not exactly true. I upload 2 short tello vids. Someone tried different props. The 3 and 4 blade props are noticeably quieter.

And one more important thing: thin obstacles in the airflow tend to "whistle" e.g. grid like propguards. The tello and a neo too, a little quieter without them.
And of course, the shape of the propeller is important too and the stiffness

Last edited:
I hope that re-designed props will make a difference, but with with room limited by the air funnel I don't think there is much they can do. Also I expect a good chunk of the noise is the motors / ESC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt