WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Easy Acro... gimmick, or useful feature?

Droning on and on...

Reaction score
Won't have a Neo until next month, but I have its bigger brother the Avata 2, and in terms of features and functionality there's a lot of overlap.

So, Easy Acro. At the moment you'll need Goggles 3 and MC3. Three basic functions: Flip, roll, and 180° drift.

The first two are fun for a few completely automated flips and rolls, and then for me become utterly "so what" and have only been used on the Avata 2 when showing the drone to a new person.

The 180° drift, on the other hand, is a fantastic cinematic tool! So many ways to use this flying past a subject, especially at full speed in Sport mode.

Practice practice practice, and you can get the timing down perfect. Also develop the throttle control on the back side of the turn.

Surprisingly, I have no video to share. Nearly all my use of this has been intense practice with it to develop superb control at high speed. I only actually used it once at the Cement Ship at Seacliff State Beach, and got home to find I hadn't started recording. 🤬

Anywho, I'll do some stuff with the Neo after I get it and post here. In the mean time, y'all that have your neos already and a goggles 3 / MC3 go out and play with 180° drift and post your videos here!

Last edited:
Reactions: NEO 317
Won't have a Neo until next month, but I have its bigger brother the Avata 2, and in terms of features and functionality there's a lot of overlap.

So, Easy Acro. Three basic functions: Flip, roll, and 180° drift.

The first two are fun for a few completely automated flips and rolls, and then for me become utterly "so what" and have only been used on the Avata 2 when showing the drone to a new person.

The 180° drift, on the other hand, is a fantastic cinematic tool! So many ways to use this flying past a subject, especially at full speed in Sport mode.

Practice practice practice, and you can get the timing down perfect. Also develop the throttle control on the back side of the turn.

Surprisingly, I have no video to share. Nearly all my use of this has been intense practice with it to develop superb control at high speed. I only actually used it once at the Cement Ship at Seacliff State Beach, and got home to find I hadn't started recording. 🤬

Anywho, I'll do some stuff with the Neo after I get it and post here. In the mean time, y'all that have your news already and a goggles 3 / MC3 go out and play with 180° drift and post your videos here!
Sounds good. I won't be doing flips and things like that. Sometimes it is even hard for me to watch a video of it due to extreme vertigo.

Reactions: sarahb
These are features i havent used, but i agree that the 180 drift is cool if done right. Ill do some playing with the neo

I'm going to record a few examples today with the Avata 2 and post here. I think of the 180 drift like tracking... a really nice automation tool for making smooth cinematic footage of that kind of maneuver.

Try doing it manually. It's actually really hard to get to be smooth and consistent... The control movements require controlling yaw to turn exactly 180°, while at the same time moving the pitch/roll from pure forward pitch through left/right roll then finishing with pure reverse pitch.

I can't do it. Never stop on 180 turning, as I'm fiddling with the right stick trying to hold the flight line I'm on.

I've tried and tried and tried. Can't do it as perfectly as the FC can by itself 😃

The automated maneuver is so good I have complete confidence flying straight at my head offset a few feet and doing it as I pass myself.

I previously mentioned doing this in Sport mode, and that was a bad memory. You can only perform these features in N mode, IIRC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt