WELCOME, NEO PILOT!
Join our DJI NEO Community today!

Bug in the control system

Hummingbird.uav

Reaction score
A bug in the system!

The Neo can be used with and without a smartphone.
When I first used the Neo without a phone it performed the default settings for flight modes.
However, when I subsequently used a smartphone to change the settings for the flight modes these became the new default settings for the Neo when used without a smartphone.
I have not found a way to change these settings using the Neo only.
Having a single unchangeable setting for the flight modes would be safer when the Neo is used without a smartphone.
Please comment with your thoughts and experiences on this subject.

Reactions: Mrjohnhc1
A bug in the system!

The Neo can be used with and without a smartphone.
When I first used the Neo without a phone it performed the default settings for flight modes.
However, when I subsequently used a smartphone to change the settings for the flight modes these became the new default settings for the Neo when used without a smartphone.
I have not found a way to change these settings using the Neo only.
Having a single unchangeable setting for the flight modes would be safer when the Neo is used without a smartphone.
Please comment with your thoughts and experiences on this subject.
From what I've read, you can't change the settings without a mobile device.

From what I've read, you can't change the settings without a mobile device.
The problem is that once you change the setting with a smartphone the next time the Neo is used without a smartphone it will use the last setting applied by the smartphone. This is OK for most settings but for things like a circle at 20m instead of 10m could be a problem or following low or high instead of medium.

The problem is that once you change the setting with a smartphone the next time the Neo is used without a smartphone it will use the last setting applied by the smartphone. This is OK for most settings but for things like a circle at 20m instead of 10m could be a problem or following low or high instead of medium.
Correct. All of my drones do that. Just change the settings back with the mobile device when you're finished and it will be set for the non-mobile use

Correct. All of my drones do that. Just change the settings back with the mobile device when you're finished and it will be set for the non-mobile use
I think that is a bit of a hassle considering there are six different flight modes that could require resettings. Today I changed them all to see what they do, and used all three batteries. No power left to reset flight modes.

I think that is a bit of a hassle considering there are six different flight modes that could require resettings. Today I changed them all to see what they do, and used all three batteries. No power left to reset flight modes.
I don't know how you expect to be able to make all these changes in each mode 'without' a mobile device. Perhaps contact DJI with this and maybe they will add it to a firmware update.

I don't know how you expect to be able to make all these changes in each mode 'without' a mobile device. Perhaps contact DJI with this and maybe they will add it to a firmware update.
I don't want to make changes without a phone. I want the default (medium) setting for each mode without a smartphone. The Neo should reset to these settings when it is used without a phone. Right now using a phone changes the settings and they don't change back to the original settings when Neo is used without a phone.

I don't want to make changes without a phone. I want the default (medium) setting for each mode without a smartphone. The Neo should reset to these settings when it is used without a phone. Right now using a phone changes the settings and they don't change back to the original settings when Neo is used without a phone.
Are you saying that it's impossible to change the settings now? (using the mobile device - set back to 'medium')

Yes without a smartphone the settings for the Modes cannot be changed. The defaults become the last setting loaded by a phone.
That was not my question. If you can use your smartphone to change the settings, change them back to medium. Then you will have it like you want it without the device.

The Neo is a newbie drone, do you think newbies will remember to do that?
Yes. I would think that if a newbie used their mobile device to make changes, they would know to use it to change them back.

Or find your discussion about it on this forum. :)

And others may think it a hassle to change their custom settings every time they use the bird. Not going to keep everyone happy my friend

I want the default (medium) setting for each mode without a smartphone. The Neo should reset to these settings when it is used without a phone. Right now using a phone changes the settings and they don't change back to the original settings when Neo is used without a phone.
That'd be annoying, cause then you wouldn't be able to make the other variants without phone. I much prefer it keeps the settings. It'll announce them before starting so you can know if they're wrong for where you are and need changing, but in my case I'd rather make sure I'm in an appropriate location and use those each time.

If you have a mobile to change the settings then you still will have a mobile to re-set them

If you don't want the 'hassle' of re-setting them, don't change them in the first place.

I think for most people they'd rather the ability for the Neo to remember what is, perhaps, a favourite setting someone uses a lot than having to change it every time you fly. That would be FAR more hassle than what you are describing.

I have 8 drones and if they didn’t remember the settings I selected, what a hassle that would be for me. Some settings I don’t remember off the top of my head, and would need to look them up. I like to “set and forget”, let the bird remember the settings.

IMHO, one of the main usage of NEO is for a remote less drone that removes the hassle of pulling out the RC or your phone to capture a good scene. The 6 preset modes are customizable based on the user's saved settings as this will allow them to change the settings ahead of time for the trip, so when they get to their location they can immediately pull-out the NEO and take the quickshots. unlike if the NEO preset mode stays on the same settings each you power it up. It's big hassle to pull-out the drone and your phone and update the settings before taking the quickshot this defeats one of the selling point of the NEO in taking a quickshot.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myetkt